Monday, December 21, 2009

Day #3 - Shopping

I've got a yucky cold and am having a difficult time concentrating. In my foggy state, I also failed at some great photo opportunities today.

This morning Heidi had a meeting at the peace corp office so she dropped Bromely and I off at a small shopping center. We were in the government sector of town where there were grand houses of various diplomats. Missed photo op#1 was the Rwanda Parliament building which is a beautiful building that is still peppered with holes from gun fire during the genocide. Intentionally left as a reminder, it made a very powerful statement.

The shopping center Heidi dropped us off at was fairly western. A beautiful building decorated for Christmas. Our first stop was a German butcher shop, where I found such items as ketchup and mayonaise (two of the items that caused a lot of tears during the packing stage of my journey).

We stopped for coffee at a great coffee shop where we also had chocolate croissants. Not the best chocolate croissants I've ever had, but the view was beautiful:





But pretty much nothing beats this view:



After Heidi picked us up we went to the Rwanda version of Wal-Mart. I wasn't sure what to expect, but there was a surprising selection of goods to be had. No cheddar cheese though. If there had been cheddar cheese, I honestly think I would have ripped my sisters lips off!

They did however had an entire aisle devoted to petroleum jelly.

A peek at the inside:



I'm off to try to have a nap. Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! Who would've thought the place was so beautiful. I am glad you are taking pictures...and they are turning out lovely. I hope you get over your cold so you can fully enjoy your time.
    Miss you here!!

    ReplyDelete